Today was our first full day in London and we had quite the time. We got off to a late start because we pretty much operated on zero sleep yesterday and had a wee bit of catching up to do.
Our morning began with a stroll across the river Thames to see Big Ben, House of Parliament, and Westminster Abbey. It's so amazing being able to look at this things up close. From there we did not have much of a plan other than try to make our way over to Buckingham Palace and eventually through Hyde Park to Kensington Palace.
On the way we came across 10 Downing Street (where the Prime Minister lives). The photo I took is actually of 12 Downing Street, my eyesight isn't that great.
Buckingham Palace is pretty grand to see up close. It's absolutely massive. We simply took some photos and strolled around it for a few minutes before heading off to lunch. After lunch we decided to head over to Hyde Park and see what that was all about it. It was really fun seeing everybody hang out and play in the park. Really a gorgeous place. Leigh Anne and I decided to lay down on the grass next to Serpentine Lake for a high tea nap. After our nap we went and saw Kensington Palace and Embassy Row.
Dinner was at a so-so Indian food restaraunt near our hotel but the real highlight of the evening was stumbling upon a local pub with some live music. Just a one man band but it was fantastic and everything I imagined. It was the "All Irish Radio" I listen to online but in person!!! Leigh Anne and I had a couple of pints of Guinness (actually she had diet coke and I had Guinness) and just had a jolly ole time listening to the old man play some Irish and British classics, along with some American favorites from Creedence Clearwater Revival and even a song about taking a train from San Anton or something.
Goodnight London, tomorrow the Tower of London, British Museum, Fish & Chips in newspaper (or mash pie, if we can find it) and wandering around after dark.
Sounds interesting.
ReplyDeleteLooks like some nice weather too.