Saturday, July 31, 2010

Savile Row, Jermyn Street, and Shopping


After James Smith & Sons, Leigh Anne and I headed over to check out Savile Row. Savile Row is known for excellent bespoke suits. It was fun walking down the street and seeing all of the well known tailor shops. Unfortunately wearing t-shirts and khaki shorts it wasn't very practical to go in.

We also saw Jermyn Street which is to shirts what Savile Row is to suits. This is where I got all of my dress shirts from for my summer clerkship (Harvie & Hudson in the above photograph). Also located on this street is Crockett & Jones. My absolute favorite shoemaker.

Finally, we stopped by Swaine, Adeney, and Brigg. A well known maker of very fine luggage and briefcases. The visit was so I could show Leigh Anne a dream briefcase of mine but might end up costing me much more. Leigh Anne found a piece of luggage that she would love for a weekend bag and I found a piece that I would like as well. Not feasible for us to purchase right now but we are planning on coming back to London next year and hopefully getting them.

We will be bringing home something other than my umbrella though. Barbour, the english maker of waxed cotton jackets, had a store we saw so we went in. I've wanted a Barbour Classic Beaufort for several years now. It turns out the the prices in England our much cheaper than in the U.S., especially for Leigh Anne. So it looks like we are going to be both coming home with the Barbour Classic Beaufort.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, tell your mother what a Barbour Classic Beafort is:) I am guessing some type of trench coat????? Looks like you are seeing a lot and having great weather. I forwarded the blog address to Janet and Sarah - didn't know if you had or not.

    I guess we can keep up with each other the next few weeks through our blogs. Technology!!!

    Love you - hope you two continue to have wonderful adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, is that your new umbrella you're holding? You never called for my measurements! Josh and I were in Berkeley the other day and drove passed both your old places, brought a tear to my eye! Glad you two are having fun and staying safe! We miss you!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggy, what is he talkin about!!!!???"?? LOL

    ReplyDelete