Hi guys, it's Leigh Anne!! We just finished our first day in the hustling, bustling, hectic, smiling city of Bangkok. Truth be told this place is stinky smelly, there are many many street cats, food sanitation is a real risk, and we don't speak a lick of Thai. These are all real issues for the westerner looking for pleasure and comfort on vacation! Putting all that aside though before we came we felt so fortunate and blessed to be in this city today. We are so happy to be experiencing something so opposite of what our lives are, a culture quite polar different from American culture. One of my very favorite experiences in life is being with people of a very different history and of very different customs and in being with them witnessing how similar we are. This truly is one of my very favorite things in life!
So yet again last night(3rd time since leaving CA) we took the redeye flight to our destination! The hotel wasn't ready for us when we arrived, so out to the city we went 'Ready or Not!'. Our hotel is a comfortable, nice place to be but right out side is the real deal 'Bangkok markets'. Bangkok is known as a shopping mecca for the cheap stuff. My girls who love Chinatown- this is your place! So these markets are set up and it is complete sensory overload with hundreds of booths either food carts, or massage rooms or the 'stuff shops'. Doug has had this street food on his mind, so that was the first thing we tried to try. He picked out his favorite looking cart and the lady loaded a plate with rice, curry, and green beans. Man it makes me laugh, cause this could have made us completely sick. He smiles proudly as he holds his 'meal for 2' and says guess what it was only 1 dollar. I-yi-yi :)
We made it through the day healthily! Whoo, 31 days to go:)
The next big event that we set out to try were the Thai massages! We got a room for 2 and gave it a whirl. Doug was a first timer and when he sought comfort asking the masseuse if there was good reason for all the pain, the ladies just laughed. I wish I had my camera, they dressed us in funny outfits and it would have made a great authentically Thai pic. At $7 an 1 hr, I'm sure we'll do it again.
We came back to our hotel after some more wandering and our room was ready. We were really impressed what $60/night got us here. Comfortable and inside safely we chilled and took a nap. We've been inside/outside on and off today. The weather is hot but since I grew up in Texas I have yet to feel a heat that feels too hot. I look forward to seeing if this trip I cry 'Mercy!'.
Tomorrow we plan to venture out in a 'tuk tuk' or a taxi and see other parts of the city. I think we'll see the grand temples of Bangkok.
:)
ReplyDeleteGreat experiences.
Where you can see what they're putting in the pan may be the safest place to eat. ;-)
That is what we thought after the restaurant owner at our lunch spot mentioned he would like to move to the U.S. but doesn't want to open a restaurant because the health standards are too high!
ReplyDelete